The tangy bite of Dijon mustard marries with the bursting flavour of fresh herbs on this vibrant, crunchy salad.
Make a small dice of:
- 1/2 English cucumber
- 1 medium red pepper
- 1 dozen sugar snap peas
- 2 small carrots
- 1 small beet
Make a chiffonade of spinach by stacking and tightly rolling a dozen large spinach leaves with the stems removed, then slicing the roll in 1/4 inch sections. This produces long strands of the leaves. If you prefer, you could also simply tear the leaves into small pieces to match the scale of your diced vegetables.
Toss together in a bowl. Top with 1 cup of sprouts and/or microgreens (alfalfa, clover, pea, sunflower or bean sprouts).
Garnish with sliced apple, pear or persimmon.
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Handful of fresh chopped herbs, or 1 tablespoon mixed dried herbs (Keep in mind some herbs are stronger than others. Use basil, parsley or dill in abundance, and be a bit sparing with stronger herbs like rosemary or oregano.)
- 1 shallot or clove of garlic, finely diced
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
Laura Coburn is the President of Coburn Design, Inc., a marketing and design studio in Auburn, New York. Coburn serves clients regionally and nationally in the areas of tourism, retail, industrial and non-profit communications and design. Laura is also a yoga teacher and founder of Eka Yoga Studio. On weekends Laura can be found cooking up special dishes to educate and honour her students at the studio.