Each one of us has a unique life purpose. When you honour the voice of your soul, you live the fullest expression of your joy. It is then that your life takes on a mythic quality, something greater than the small, restless you. You dismiss any undermining voices in your environment or in your mind, and listen instead to the still, small voice within so that you may follow your bliss. You become receptive to mentors, teachers and guides of all sorts as you embark on your own heroic journey to share your magnificence with the world. While you may face adversity, your courage and wisdom strengthen you.
Your bliss is the voice of the divine in you. When you express your bliss, you express your highest purpose. When you express your highest purpose, you support the good in all beings, whether others see it or not.
Because your soul is eternally connected to all of life, when you follow your bliss, you not only do it for yourself, but you do it for the world. When you say yes to who you are, you are saying yes to life. When you say yes to life, you maintain a life-affirming energy that touches everyone you meet and goes out to the universe, supporting all beings, even those of whom you are not aware. When you say yes to your soul voice, yes to life, everyone wins.
By fulfilling your heart’s desires, you come into greater alignment with your spiritual purpose, the ultimate goal of which is enlightenment.
Consciously choosing to redirect my awareness towards thoughts that are in tune with my soul directive, rather than my ego/mind’s idea of what life should be, is a daily, moment to moment practice for me. The practice often finds its way through my songwriting and composing, such as in the lyrics for this pop ballad Open To This Love:
Persevere and endear. Life begins after fear.
Doubt and you’re out. Let your soul beauty out.
I know we can grow. We’ve done it since we’ve been here.
We must let go. Love is truly dear.
Obsessing in perfection only tears us apart.
Never mind that attitude. Let’s focus on our heart.
Open to this love.
“Doubt and you’re out. Persevere and endear” are a personal motto to help me focus on where I place my attention. It helps me to remember what is real.
This month, instead of suggesting a traditional meditation practice, I invite you to visualize for a few minutes every day that all your heart’s desires are fulfilled. If you like, keep a journal with you to jot down what may arise. Go to the source of what you truly desire, and get out of your own way so that you may realize it. Remember that the universe supports your highest and deepest joy, and is conspiring to help you experience this. This visualization practice sets in motion all the support you need for your life to be as you wish it to be.
- Sit quietly and comfortably for some time, away from the busyness of life.
- Gently close your eyes. Take a few nice long deep breaths and allow your whole body to relax. Feel receptive to the here and now.
- Now, breathe in the reality that all your heart’s desires are fulfilled. As the new life force carried by your breath starts to move through you, feel this fulfillment in every cell of your being. Allow the feeling to be in your whole body, rooted, vital and expansive. Avoid any tendency to daydream, narrate or analyze. Remain present, in your body, aware of physical sensations. Also avoid being forceful or trying to control what you think you should be feeling or seeing. Allow sensations to bubble up from your soul. Remain open.
- As you begin, you may get a blank “uh, I don’t know” feeling. Persevere. Should you meet frustration, shame, fear, doubt, rage and pain – whatever may be blocking your deeper joys – simply witness it.
- Welcome it all into your heart, even any resistance you may feel, such as the belief that you cannot experience any joyful fulfillment. Accept the sober reality that the resistance reflects painful tendencies you may have, such as having a low-self esteem, feelings of jealousy, of being a victim. Quietly watch and let them soften. No fighting.
- Feel what the realization of your joys would be like, how that would affect every aspect of your life. Let yourself expand into the fullness of your heart’s desires. Give them to yourself, fully, now. Imagine this in every sense possible – taste, touch, smell, sound, sight. Let it be a full body, full life experience. Allow yourself to feel it fully manifest, as though you are absolutely now. Breathe this reality in for some time, so that you feel it in every cell. Simply be.
- Do this practice as often as you can and watch your life change.
Known as the Positive Possibilities Lady, Parvati inspires magnificence through music, yoga, words and activism. An award-winning musician, Parvati brings joy and hope to top 40 radio with her celestial pop songs “I Am Light”, “Yoga in the Nightclub”, and “Shanti Om”. Founder of “YEM: Yoga as Energy Medicine” and author of “Confessions of a Former Yoga Junkie: A Revolutionary Life Makeover for the Sincere Spiritual Seeker”, Parvati has been featured on radio and television talk shows and news and wellness magazines globally. She is the founder of Parvati.org, a not-for profit dedicated to realizing MAPS: The Marine Arctic Peace Sanctuary to help stop global warming. More about MAPS, free YEM videos, self-help articles, her music and more at parvati.tv and parvati.org.