Community Category

Parvati Magazine has previously discussed Canada’s Arctic and some of the difficulties and concerns for those who live there. But you don’t have to go above the Arctic Circle to see big problems for Canada’s indigenous populations. On the shores of Ontario’s James Bay, communities have suffered in third world conditions. When you look at Ontario on a map, you see that place names on the map thin out drastically once you get north of Thunder Bay, Sault St. Marie, Sudbury and North Bay. These cities are considered “northern” –Read More
“A business that makes nothing but money is a poor kind of business.” – Henry Ford A new year, a new beginning. A time for contemplation. What did you accomplish last year? Did you evolve your business, your teams, yourself? Where did you miss the mark? How can you improve this year? Almost always, when I ask clients what they want to accomplish in the new year, the answer is: “more”. More sales, more customers, more product innovation, more profit, more capital – and the list goes on. I understandRead More
As we move toward an expanded definition of success, following are six ways you can support broader growth and fulfillment, and make 2012 a truly inspiring year. 1.      Serve your stakeholders. Take the opportunity this new year to shift your attitude from expecting, demanding, commanding, controlling (however your leadership shadow takes form) – to serving – your employees, your vendors, your investors, your community, in addition to your customers. This creates a powerful shift in moving from a competitive adversarial paradigm, which just creates lack, to a prosperity based paradigm,Read More
This summer and fall, a movement began called “Occupy Wall Street”, calling for redress of economic inequalities in society. This movement then expanded to other Occupy demonstrations throughout the world. We contacted Velcrow Ripper, an award-winning documentarian who has been filming the movement, to learn more about how Occupy could bring light into a dark time. Parvati Magazine: When did you first learn about the Occupy movement? Velcrow Ripper: I learned about Occupy in July. Someone sent me a link with to the call to action and said, “Will youRead More

Posted On November 17, 2011By Parvati MagazineIn December 2011 - Light and Dark, News, Politics

Politics: Keeping the Lights On

In this season of darkness and light, do we consider what it takes to keep the lights lit, the mall muzak playing, the airplanes fuelled and the cars running? The answers to these questions can be difficult. Most of us, whether we like it or not, depend on power from polluting fossil fuels, or from nuclear energy. The political and environmental issues with fossil fuels are well known. As the price of oil rises, it becomes increasingly profitable to exploit dirtier oil reserves at ever greater financial and environmental cost.Read More
“The obstacle is the path.” – Zen Proverb Great leaders are powerful builders of enterprise. They have a knack for creating a clear vision, believing in its fulfillment with every cell in their body, and inspiring others through heart-centered communication to share their vision and act toward its creation. They can hold the vision in light, under all circumstances – especially during times of darkness, when it seems the world is against its fulfillment. That was one of my abilities as a business leader. Yet now, as I execute myRead More
Last January, I embarked on one of the biggest challenges of my life. I joined the Off the Mat, Into the World Challenge to raise $20,000 for Haiti by December 15th of this year, and then travel to Haiti next February to aid in relief efforts there. It is scary to see how almost two years later, the people are still paying for the devastating earthquake that destroyed their land, infrastructure, and so many families. “Off the Mat, Into the World” (OTM) was started four years ago by three remarkableRead More
One of the places in the world where you will find few people willing to contest the assertion that our climate is changing is the Arctic region. Every summer, more and more ice melts away from the northern reaches of Canada’s territory. This year, an “unprecedented” amount of protective ozone was lost over the Arctic. Scientists have warned that the North Pole will be in the open sea by 2040 – if not much sooner. A territory relatively untouched and inaccessible by man will become accessible by boat, enabling visitsRead More
Five Steps to Freedom “Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice. Have the courage to follow your own heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.” – Steve Jobs With recession in the air, the typical media flurry of doom and gloom is picking up momentum. US unemployment is nearing double digits, US debt is out of control, the Eurozone debt crisis continues, and the stock markets are falling as confidence in the world economyRead More
September 26, 2011 marks the one-year anniversary of the first music performance at the North Pole.  Electronic pop artist, yogi and philanthropist Parvati Devi performed four of her original songs on Ward Hunt Island, the most northern piece of land in Canada. Though no audience was present, the music offering at the top of the world was captured on video. The event was the culmination of a five-day journey to raise awareness of the effects of global warming in the far North. “I was becoming increasingly painfully aware of theRead More