It’s official – summer is over (wah!). Unfortunately for us all, the sobering autumn weather has already set in. But September can also mean a new year, the start of being productive again, and beauty reinvention. Sometimes I think that the fall is even more of a “new beginnings” feel than January.
So, below are some tips for feeling refreshed and beautiful this season. Though the summer usually means good times, its sun, fun and heat take a toll on our skin and bodies – we will need a bit of autumn renewal.
1. Give your feet a tweak: After a summer in flip-flops, we need to address those calluses we’ve created. Give yourself an at-home foot treatment starting with a good pumice on the soles of your feet. Then take a nail brush to your toes and slough off excess cuticle. Pure + Simple actually has a new nail brush with a pumice on its backside that I heart. But for those of you who don’t have these items at home, any exfoliant you have will do if you combine it with some elbow grease. Be sure to follow up with a rich foot cream. If you do this before bed, apply your foot cream then put on a pair of old socks – your body heat will help the moisturizer penetrate more deeply overnight.
2. It’s the perfect time to peel: Autumn is a transition season – we go from hot to cold, and our skin gets really dehydrated really fast. Because sun exposure is limited , it‘s a good time to peel. Remember, after a summer of cottage sunbathing and skipping around the city’s heat, our skin probably has acquired mucho damage. So, peeling, whether done by a professional at a spa or on our own at home, will help eat away dry, damaged, dead skin cells. I always say that the transition months are the most important times to receive a facial because it can help our skin and bodies bridge this shift.
3. Oil your bod: Everyone knows that I love oils.But in the fall, we must ensure we oil our bodies and scalps every night. It is a pivotal time which is deeply influenced by Vata (the air element). Vata governs movement and change – and also thrives in windy, cool autumn weather. The result of too much Vata in the environment is the accumulation of Vata in our bodies – this leads to drier skin, superficial fine lines, more scatteredness and problems sleeping during this time of year. Oiling ourselves is an excellent anti-Vata practice, and rich, grounding sesame oil both warms the body and decreases excess Vata.
4. Polish those pearly whites: I’m not one for coffee because caffeine makes me crazy and shaky – but for a lot of you the hotter months calls for iced lattes and frozen mocha frappes. So we will want to brush away any teeth stains pronto (if not from coffee, from summer social drinking). Just dip your toothbrush in some baking soda and scrub away! Your teeth will feel smoother than they have ever felt before.
5. Choose new colors: When I was young I would change my look every September – from flamingo pink hair and Betsy Johnston Gingham dresses to pitch black and combat boots. Obviously now I go for more of a naturel vibe – but still I like a new mineral lip gloss, blush and eyeshadow for fall. This year I’m picking out a mauvey brown lip lacquer, spice blush and a smokey purple eye shade called “royale”. It’s time to retire my summer bronzer, candy pink lip gloss and anything with shimmer. Some more mature, romantic colors are a welcomed change. Because like I said, it’s time for fall beauty – back to life, back to reality.
Kristen Ma is the co-owner of Pure + Simple Inc., a group of Holistic Spas with its own line of Natural Skincare and Mineral Make-up. She is an Ayurvedic Practitioner who has studied in Canada, the United States and India. She is also a Certified Esthetician with eight years of practical experience, having worked in Canada as well as Australia. Most recently, Kristen has authored “Beauty: Pure + Simple” which was published by Mc Arthur and Company. Kristen has written on the subject of Holistic Beauty for Vitality Magazine, Blink and Jasmine. She is also a regular contributor to B Magazine, Tonic and Sweat Equity Magazine.