When we turn our energies to start anything new, we usually experience some level of fear and doubt. Sometimes the fear is so great, we never make it to the starting line. Imprisoned by our fear, we shackle ourselves to what we believe to be true and look out at life, wondering how we will ever live the life we want.
Fear and doubt are not bad. But when they become overwhelming, they hinder your ability to live a fulfilled life. Some fear when starting a new project or embracing life change is natural and can be an ally. It keeps you alert and on your toes. Fear heightens your awareness and can keep you safe from danger. Similarly, a small amount of doubt can help you make decisions that are rooted in discernment rather than foolish impulse. Doubt can help you find the courage to ask probing questions and find answers that are not immediately apparent. But too much doubt will keep you from even getting to the starting line. How you manage fear and doubt often makes the difference between those who are happily pursuing a life they love and those who are waiting on the sidelines.
When you try to run from any emotion, it follows you. When you sink into it and become identified with it, you lose yourself in it. If you fight it, it becomes more entrenched: what you resist persists. Instead, welcome fear and doubt, and simply be with them. When you are present and stop fighting them, the energy that feeds them subsides. Soon you find yourself not so afraid, not in such doubt. You learn to welcome fear as it walks alongside you, rather than panicking about feeling afraid. Learning to manage your fears and doubts is key to letting go of resistance, because as you travel along your soul path, you will face adversity. As you develop the skill to manage your shadow, you find the room in your life to choose the light.
This is a guided visualization exercise to help you touch places that are rooted, vital and expansive, yet that you fear for some reason. Often this can be the case when you move towards newness, or towards that which is good for you; when your attachments and resistance are triggered.
● Find a quiet place where you feel safe and relaxed. Sit comfortably. Allow your imagination to go within and visualize or sense that your whole being is full of shimmering, white light. Take a few moments to fill yourself up with light, feeling good about who you are.
● Then visualize or sense that you are moving in a direction that supports your highest joy, but that brings up fear. Notice how your body feels, what thoughts pass through your mind.
● Breathe deeply and allow yourself to just be here. You don’t need to go anywhere. Allow yourself to root through your tailbone, legs and feet. Let your energy anchor into the ground. From that steadiness, allow life-force energy to arise through you, into vital expansion, a fuller expression of who you are.
● When you feel ready, visualize or sense that you move a little closer towards your joy, as you continue to feel relaxed presence.
● When you have come as close as you would like, continue to sense yourself feeling rooted, vital and expansive. Feel the relaxed strength. Take up your rightful space, allowing your energy to respectfully expand, while remaining grounded in your being.
● Allow yourself to be with this experience for some time, while being true to who you are, surrendered, relaxed, and strong. Enjoy the experience of feeling safe to soften, being naturally you.
● Now take a few long deep breaths and return from this visualization. As you do so, remind yourself that feeling this way is available to you in each moment, anywhere, if you so choose.
● Whenever you feel ready, open your eyes, and welcome the fullness of the moment before you, rich in possibilities.
Parvati is an award-winning musician (“I Am Light”, “Electro Yog”, “Yoga In The Nightclub”), yogini (YEM: Yoga as Energy Medicine), author (“The Grace Mindset”, “Aonani of Avalon”, “The Three Supreme Secrets for Lasting Happiness”) and founder of the not-for-profit Parvati.org. All her work is dedicated to protecting all life on Earth by establishing the Marine Arctic Peace Sanctuary (MAPS). More info: parvati.tv; parvati.org.